Thursday, June 10, 2010

The freshness of Anton Chekhov



This man is the reason I first wanted to become an academic 5 years ago while reading "Race Matters" on the way to school. A lot has changed since then (and I've been back and forth about pursuing academia as a full-time career) but what remains unchanged is my admiration for Cornel's ability to make theory, and theorists, accessible for anyone with a desire to listen. The way he talks about style, both in a general sense and from a broader perspective, is absolutely on-point. How many brothas you know cite Chekhov as their primary sartorial influence? C'mon son!

When I did my "admitted students" visit at Princeton this past year, I bumped into Cornel on my way to the bathroom. He was incredibly kind, and seemed thoroughly interested in knowing whether or not I was coming to Princeton. I told him I was still deciding. He said he would pray for me. Not gonna lie, I took that as a sign. Hopefully, the Lord will anoint my time there in the future. Beyond excited to get this part of my life on the way.

2 comments:

  1. My hero.

    Love his words, but that camera work makes me dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea the camwork was def annoying. lol However, I love Cornell West! He is just too smooth! haha Great man!

    ReplyDelete