Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Looking back.



Told ya'll a minute ago that I would refrain from posting my own stuff up here for the most part, but to be honest, since this is footage from one of the happiest days of my life, I'm hoping you can all make an exception.

The clip is taken from my recent graduation ceremony at the University of Pennsylvania. I had the distinct honor of being the first-ever Black student to be chosen as speaker for the event, and was nervous than a mug the entire time. The Lord really came through in a major way for me that evening (as He always does) and I can truly say that all of the glory goes to my marvelous, merciful, gracious God.

Truth be told, toward the end of my Penn career, I had a number of seemingly insurmountable obstacles standing between me and graduation. There were legitimately points where I didn't think I would make it, that all those years had been a waste of time and money. I wavered in my faith, and lost sight of all the blessings I had been given. One of my best friends, Jon, told me that the Lord had brought me that far, and wouldn't forsake me.

He was right.

Now, sitting here only a couple months away from starting life as a graduate student, I've decided to use this post to reminisce, to reflect upon what a wonderful time it is to be alive.

It is beautiful life, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful speech. I admire you so much for what you do and how much you inspire other people. Keep doing what you're doing, and best of luck in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your speech has made me speechless...words have been replaced with pure feeling, which has awakened in me that which I only get a glimpse of during a divine meditation or communion. Your literary eloquence has left me desiring...what it would be like to swim in your hollows? the hollows of your beautifully exposed soul, authentic, pure, DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete