Thursday, January 8, 2009

My favorite new poet

jason mcbeth round 1 iwps 08


The above video is a clip from the Individual World Poetry Slam that took place earlier this year. Yours truly took 5th (after a time penalty) and the young man in the embedded video, Jason McBeth, took 2nd. Easily one of the illest poets I've ever seen, beautiful writer and undeniably honest performer. Shout out to Seth Walker for posting this, I've been looking for clips of this guy all over the place and been unable to really find anything. Sharing the stage with Jason forced to me get my pen game up once I got back home; what he does with rhyme and imagery is simply unparalleled in my experience as a spoken word artist. Don't just take my word for it, listen close. The line about a string section being formed from ex-puppet governments? Ridiculous. Keep killin it, Jason. We're all out here listening.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to find more vids too. Saw him in Charlotte when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete