Friday, March 5, 2010

Lunch with Amiri



The fact that I sat on a panel with this man is yet another instance of the Lord doing things far above and beyond what I could have imagined in my wildest dreams. A rigorous scholar, incredible playwright, breathtaking poet, and unflinching activist, Amiri Baraka has been truly inspirational to me not only in his approach to the craft(s) of writing and performance, but also his unflinching dedication to creating art centrally focused on the liberation, sustenance, and empowerment of Black people the world over.

I'll admit, we got into a few arguments last night (about what "Blackness" actually is/means, and why it's useful in the contemporary moment as a mode of identity), but all were in good fun and born from a place of genuine curiosity and mutually shared respect. The love and kindness Mr. Baraka was truly heartwarming, and this post is the least I can do to show my gratitude. I wish him all the best in the near future, and can only pray that he continues to move and inspire all those he comes across. May God bless you, Amiri. Be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment