Tuesday, June 23, 2009

There's a lot in a name.



So, I'll admit it. When I first heard/read about the Dirty Projectors in Rolling Stone Magazine, I was left with a fistful of confusion and a dash of utter disbelief. Their sound was essentially categorized as (if you will allow me to paraphrase) indie rock meets futuristic R&B. I cannot readily recall ever hearing of an entire band referred to as R&B, and am sure I have never known that sort of niche genre specificity to be given to a group of really hip, quirky White people. I came to the table with high hopes and no reason to believe they would be met.

To say it plain, listening to Dirty Projectors is like having a carnival on the surface on your eardrums that occasionally makes it way to the innermost recesses of your brain and explodes into a flurry of vermilion snowflakes. It's that serious. Dave Longstreth has an incredible voice, and the production is unlike anything I have ever come in contact with before. It's a rush of blood, a blossoming dream, a first kiss and fresh peach cobbler all rolled up into a delicately gift-wrapped package of chikka-chikka-wow. Check out their album, Rise Above; it will change the way you perceive sound. Word to Brooklyn.

Don't believe me? Check out the video above and tell me different.

No comments:

Post a Comment