Thursday, October 15, 2009

Back on my poetry ish



First, gotta send a shout-out to Amy Everhart. Being the first woman to win the Individual World Poetry Slam is a huge deal and a long overdue moment for the slam art form. From my brief history with Amy's work, I know that taking home the world title was a hard-fought, much-deserved victory. My hat is off to you, Miss Everhart. Well done.

Secondly, I have to take a moment to talk about just how much I love the Denver poetry slam scene as a whole. I was first introduced to their youth slam team in 2007 and have simply been floored by every poet I have seen come out of the greater Denver area since. Ken Arkind, Ayinde Russell, Andrea Gibson, Lucifury, the list goes on and on. All, from my experience, both singular performers and incredibly down-to-Earth people. Their poetry is a crafted mix of social consciousness and a love for the abstract, a prime example of what can happen when exquisite writers see fit to step onstage and let their spirit fly free.

As a young writer/performer, Denver poets have truly set the standard for me, and I can't say enough how grateful I am that there are still so many folks in spoken word dedicated to putting out quality work (particularly when they are all concentrated in one area like that; it just isn't fair). Check out "Flowers of Hiroshima." Vicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment