Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to school time...



OK, so New Student Orientation wasn't really poppin this year. Met some cool folks, but overall this year was a real reminder of the lack of resources available to people of color in spaces like Penn as far as parties go. Often times, one either has to deal with the thinly veiled racism of "certain" fraternity houses or relegate ourselves to smaller venues barely able to adequately fit all of the folks who desire to dance within its confines. These kind of moments make me yearn for spaces where it clear that I, and those who share my cultural background and interests, have a place we can call our own. A place that was made for us. Oh, the musings of the angst-ridden Black male twentysomething. Morehouse is looking real good right now. Knew I should've taken that scholarship...

Ok, maybe a that's a little over the top.

Still, though I love certain aspects of Penn I've got to admit that I'm becoming more aware every day of the level of violence done to the Black psyche by something as simple as consistently having nowhere to party on weekends. All a brotha is asking for is a place to two-step. Why is this so difficult?!

In that vein, shout out to my man Dave. Party last night was crackin. We need some more of that around here. Alright, well I'm off to a meeting. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear about that. but i will add it to my long list of reasons i'm glad i attended an hbcu.

    ReplyDelete